Master of Social Work, M.S.W.

The Master of Social Work (MSW) prepares students to utilize the planned change model to improve the well-being of individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities in a variety of settings. The program provides students training in trauma-conscious, strengths-based, research-informed social work practices emphasizing the intersection of people within their environments. The MSW teaches diagnosis and interventions related to mental health and substance use disorders. The MSW delineates how laws, policies, culture, and intersectionality impact individual and familial access to equitable opportunity and services. Successful graduates will be eligible for employment in diverse settings, such as mental health therapy, medical social work, school social work, and child welfare, etc. The program fulfills the requirements for licensure as a Certified Social Worker (CSW) in the state of Utah. The CSW license is a precursor to obtaining the Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) license.

Matriculation Requirements

  1. Application for admission to graduate program with application fee by the established deadline.

  2. Submit official transcripts from all universities attended.

  3. A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university, a nationally accredited program, or the international equivalent.

  4. A 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or a 3.0 GPA calculated on the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate work.

  5. For international students whose native language is not English, submit official TOEFL or IELTS band scores. A TOEFL score of 80 iBT (550 pBT) or higher, or an IELTS band score of 6.5 or higher within the past two years is required.

  6. International students must also meet all US government requirements for international students.

  7. The university uses a selective admissions process for admitting students to graduate programs. Meeting minimum admissions criteria does not guarantee admission to the graduate program or to the University as a graduate student.